H & R  Ainscough  Corn Mills, Burscough & Parbold


In 1814 Richard Ainscough (the elder) 1770-1849, came to Parbold, and with the help of his father (Hugh Ainscough of Mawdesley) started as a grocer and took over the village windmill. This was the foundation of the family firm of H & R Ainscough.

Burscough mill is a former steam powered corn mill. The mill was developed by Hugh Ainscough in 1855. It was strategically sited next to the Leeds Liverpool canal and the Liverpool to Preston railway.
The mill had its own railway siding at Burscough Junction.
It demonstrates the scale and detailing of a mid-late 19th century industrial milling complex.

Before 1933 Ainscoughs had a fleet of wooden boats, from 1933 - 1949 they had a fleet of 9 iron vessels built and they were broad beam long boats, which consisted of 4 motors and 5 dumb boats.

1933 - Ironclad & Attractive powered boat and dumb boat.
            Ambush & Burscough powered boat and dumb boat.
1934 - Black Prince (later renamed Burscough2) & Viktoria powered boat and dumb boat.
1936 - Parbold was a  horse drawn boat which worked until 1960.
1948 - Boadicea powered boat.
1949 - Claymore dumb boat.

With access to bulk transport on the waterways, by 1872 the mills were extensive.
In the midst of a corn growing area of Lancashire, the grain was at hand, which led to
the expansion of the Burscough mill. Grain was also imported through the docks at
Liverpool and Birkenhead. The coal for the steam power of the mills was transported from the coal fields at Manchester & Wigan.

Later it was owned by Allied Mills. The mill finally closed in 1998 and was purchased by
Persimmon Homes as part of a redevelopment plan to convert the building into Mill apartments.